JOB TITLE: Front Desk
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Position requires travel to other offices as needed. Greets patients, obtains and verifies patient information. Collects co-pays and obtains referrals. Schedules appointments. Prepares clerical information needed for the next day. Pulls charts if needed. Makes sure all SPOC’S are current. Answers telephone in a prompt and courteous manner. Opens and distributes mail and faxes. Checks confirmation call list; reschedules any cancelled patient appointments. Confirms anyone who was not reached by automated call service. Checks recall/tickler list, make sure all patients on list who were or were not seen and delete or schedule accordingly.
- Greet all patients in a cordial, friendly and prompt manner.
- Obtain New Patient Information Forms from new patients. Review for completeness and request any missing information. Scan all forms into Verify insurance status; determine primary and secondary coverage and subscriber information. Scan cards (front and back) into EMR. Determine whether or not a referral is required. Input reference # on referral into Athena. Scan referral into EMR. Verify accuracy of address, telephone #, insurance status and any other information according to office policy, for follow-up patients. Update patient record as necessary.
- Verify patients have been provided with HIPPA privacy notice.
- Collect appropriate co-pay from patients including full payment of self-pay patients at the time of visit!
- Enter patient’s arrival time on the encounter form.
- Answer telephones; provide required information per practice policy. Route clinical questions and emergency calls to nursing staff or physician.
- When answering telephones, make sure all information is obtained before forwarding the call. If a Doctor calls to speak with one of our Doctors, determine if the chart is EMR, pull up the chart at the tech station, and obtain the calling Doctor’s correct name.
- Schedule appointments in Athena software.
- Balance money collected with the totals in Prepare a deposit slip and forward all “day end close” information to the Controller in the business office at the end of the day.
- Review and handle all messages faxed to the office.
- Retrieve all messages left on service and handle accordingly.
- Maintain confidentiality of Protected Health Information.
- Work as a team player with all departments and offices.
- Effectively deal with the typical job stress in a professional, calm manner
- Maintain professional appearance (as stated in the Employee Hand book) and personal conduct at all times.
- Keep updated with all pertinent billing and insurance requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school graduate or GED required.
REQUIREMENTS: Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to prioritize responsibilities. Adherence to all policies and procedures, including safety, attendance, punctuality and personal and office appearance.
- Knowledge of applicable computer applications
- Knowledge of HIPPA regulations
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective internal and external working relationships
- Skill in both oral and written communications
- Skill in answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner
- Skill in using and respecting office equipment
- Satisfactorily handle paperwork/filing adequately
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain courteous and professional working relationships with other staff and patients
- Ability to multi task
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, walking, hand dexterity for telephone, computer and equipment use; and normal vision and hearing.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Medical office equipment. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive.
**This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needed.**
NJ Retina is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com